Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Familiar Strangers


(Written for Goodreads Newsletter contest;
 inspired by a conversation in the middle of the night )


Fingers flying, clacking keys
Silent conversations, a thousand miles apart
Engaging battles armed with words
Duels of a strange sort
The new era is born


I know you, stranger, yet I don't know you
Never a look in your eyes
Yet,
Lines and lines of filtered pages, words from a heart
Friend, acquaintance, or just another stranger?


If by chance, we crossed paths amidst the crowds
Would you recognize me, bid a friendly hello?
Or would we waltz past, and go home
And resume a conversation in virtual lands
Where I am who I want to be


The new era is born,
So is human's new generation
A species where everyone knows and not knows
The man on the train, the lady in fishnets...


The many faces and forms
Of Familiar strangers.

No comments: