Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Finally, You


I thought tears were part of growing up
And getting told No
No, I’m choosing me
No, I’m choosing her
No, I’m choosing my future
No, you don’t fit in here 
No,
It’s not you. 
(it's me)

It always seem so easy, falling in love
My friends do it all the time 
One touch, one smile
They’ve got it
But all I get is still a smile,
Then a shake of the head 

You’re too picky, they said. 
Settle, they sighed. 
We compromise in every relationship, their eyes seem to say. 
Maybe you’re just too different, they say as they cradled their newfound loves. 
(maybe you're just too difficult, is what I hear)

I wrapped myself up in a steel cloth woven of tears
Barged ahead in huge mammoth steps
What is hurt? What is rejection? 
What is love? 
Stomped questions under my feet until they trembled 
Crumpled
(crumbled) 

And then, 
You. 

Took up my steel woven cloth like the softest silk
And wrapped it around us
Cradled my questions and my fears in your hands
And slowly, gently, held them above me where I no longer can reach them
(they no longer can reach me)

When everyone else, everything else is breaking apart
You held my hand (always held my hand)
When the world tries to break us apart
You held my hand (still holding my hand)
And when the noises grow too loud and the lights too bright
And our heads are crawling with locusts and thunderstorms of fire and hail,
You held my hand 
(never let go)

Finally, you. 

Finally. 

You. 

No comments: