Sunday, April 3, 2022

I Love You

 I’d once wondered
What does love feels like 
Is it soft like the pillow of a newborn child
Or harsh like the spray of angry waves 
Is it loud like the blaring sirens
Or tender like whisper of rustling leaves

Who can tell me what it feels like? 
One said, ‘It’s when your hands touch,
And refuses to let go,’
One said, ‘it’s when you buy flowers,
And see the smile on her face.’
Another said, ‘well, it feels like everything,
And also nothing.’

I searched the skies for answers
The seas for their wisdom
‘It’s beyond words,’ they said,
‘your heart will know it when it loves.’

It is still beyond words, my heart says
And sometimes you drown in the confusion 
Is it love? Is it not? 
Does he love me? Do I love him? 
Still? 

I’ve known the touch of his lips 
The sound of his words
The breadth of his kindness 
The height of his passions 

It’s the smallest moments - 
The soft rustle of laundry being folded
The harsh pants of his breaths 
The loud arguments that we have
The soft clinking of him doing dishes

It’s not what you feel, Love. 

Love is not a noun nor adjective
Love is a verb

We feel love because we chose love 
To love, and to be loved

It is what you choose. 




How does love feel? 
Well, it feels like a choice. 

No comments: